Followers

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Color Scheme: Complementary Colors and Why They Work

    I always refer back to the color wheel whenever I'm in doubt if two colors go together.  Of course my eye readily tells me if a color combination is an eye sore but the color wheel always reconfirms what I see:

    Complementary colors are those colors that are directly opposite each other on the color wheel.  Complementary colors are usually made of one cool color and one warm color.   These colors when put together intensify each other.   The purple becomes cooler and the yellow becomes warmer.  Also the combination brings harmony and balance to the eye as the pair is complete, having all three primary colors(Red, Yellow, Blue) together.  The eye is smart because it readily catches on completeness.  The eyes are uneasy if it detects "subconsciously" that a primary color is missing! It's like a mom being so antsy when one of her triplets is out of sight, lol just a cute analogy;)  Anyway, take a look at the diagram below:

Blue+ Yellow= Green which is complementary to Red  (All three  primary colors are present) that's why Christmas colors are pleasing to look at-  Just don't wear them together  so obviously Mrs. Claus!
Red + Blue = Purple  which is complementary to Yellow
Red + Yellow= Orange which is complementary to Blue

  Okay I don't mean to be too algebra professor-y on you but, just saying, these are just one of the many basic color schemes to start your color quest with.  Of course there are variations to this theory.  This is not an all inclusive rule, trust me.  This is just one of the many guidelines to go by when it comes to colors.


  Purple and Yellow Style:

Styled by http://www.besttrendsforever.com/ StyleMe Feature

Blue and Orange Style:

Styled by http://www.besttrendsforever.com/ StyleMe Feature


                                   
 


2 comments:

  1. I like your blog so I follow you now :) maybe follow you back? :)
    http://seleniavonarthur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Pleasure! I just followed you via google! I love your blog especially the beautiful sceneries you have there!

    ReplyDelete